CHOlesterol Personalized INnovation (CHOPIN) : improves treatment for hypercholesterolemia
The CHOPIN project strategy revolves around 5 work packages, one work package focused on the coordination and operational monitoring of the project (WP1) and 4 work packages dedicated to the scientific aspects of CHOPIN (WP2-WP5).
- Project coordination.
- Highlighting the new roles of PCSK9.
- Identification of new cardiovascular protection factors in familial hypercholesterolemia.
- Assessment of long-term consequences of low LDL levels.
- Identification of new genetic targets in the metabolism of LDL.
To attain these objectives CHOPIN being supported in its work by the French register of familial hypercholesterolemia and by 8 French University Hospitals, who are helping to put together 4 patient cohorts with extreme levels of LDL-cholesterol.
Once these cohorts are in place and biological samples have been collected, we will be able to :
- Identify new cholesterol metabolism genes, thanks to next generation genome sequencing
- Identify new cardiovascular risk markers, thanks to lipidomics and metabolomics platforms.
The therapeutic targets identified will then be validated using an innovative cellular model: human hepatocytes obtained from induced pluripotent stem cells (iPS cells).
Finally, new treatment drugs will be developed on a dedicated expert platform.